(Please do not copy or plagiarise any picture, diagram, text or image from this website without our express permission)


Note:  All of the old airfield and its outlying sites are now on private land; and following numerous intrusions onto the land by vandals and thieves the landowners and farmers will not take kindly to individuals roaming across their land.


PLEASE RESPECT THEIR PRIVACY!

HOME OF THE POLISH BOMBER SQUADRONS

RAF INGHAM HERITAGE CENTRE

No. 199 Squadron was formed at at Rochford on the 1st of June 1917 from No.99 Depot Squadron as a training unit for pilots intended for service with the night bomber squadrons in France. Using F.E.2bs, it retained this task till the end of the war, moving to Harpswell in Lincolnshire in the June of 1918, where it disbanded in June 1919.


On the 7th of November 1942, No.199 reformed at Blyton with Wellingtons in bomber command and flew its first raid on the 6th of December 1942. The last Wellington sortie flew was flown on the 13th of June 1943 and the crews converted to Short Stirlings, resuming operations on the 27th of July. By the beginning of 1944 the Stirling had been withdrawn from the main force of bomber command force and was concentrating on laying mines and coastal attacks. The squadron became non operational in the May of 1944, and began training with No.100 Group for counter-measures duties. The squadron took part on D-Day with their Stirlings equipped with radar jamming devices to create a decoy of large force heading for the Pas de Calais area. This confusion allowed the main force of the invasion craft to head for Normandy while the enemy reserves were delayed until it was too late. It continued to use these methods in support of the main bomber force by confusing enemy radars until the end of the war, Halifaxes beginning to replace Stirlings in the April of 1945. On the 29th of July 1945, the squadron disbanded.









































Motto:

"Let tyrants tremble"

Squadron

Code Letters:

EX

Commanding Officers:


































199 Squadron were stationed at:

Blyton

07:11:1942



Vickers Wellington Mk. III

Ingham

03:02:1943



Vickers Wellington Mk. X

Lakenheath

21:06:1943



Short Stirling III

North Creake

01:05:1945



Handley Page Halifax Mk. III


DB

29:07:1945




Watton

15:07:1951



Avro Lincoln B.2 & De Havilland Mosquito NF 36

Hemswell

17:04:1952



English Electric Canberra B.2 & Vickers Valliant B.1

Honington

01:10:1957


DB

17:12:1958

300 Squadron 305 Squadron 301 Squadron 304 Squadron 199 Squadron Home

HOME

History The Airfield Squadrons & Units Heritage Project Memorials NAAFI Directions Contacts Membership Members Page Links

HISTORY

THE AIRFIELD

SQNS & UNITS

HERITAGE PROJECT

NAAFI

DIRECTIONS

MEMORIALS

CONTACTS

MEMBERSHIP

MEMBERS PAGE

LINKS & AFFILIATIONS